Simona Halep’s former coach says ‘no chance’ the two-time grand slam champion knowingly took banned substance
World No 1 Simona Halep has said she has ‘no chance’ of winning Wimbledon again, despite admitting on Monday she took a banned substance earlier this year and failed a drug test.
‘There is no chance for me to continue with my career,’ Halep, 26, wrote in her official blog on Tuesday, hours before her quarterfinals showdown with world No 2 Angelique Kerber.
The Swiss said she needed time to focus on the match with a quarter final clash against the 20th seed.
Halep is world No 1 for a record sixth time but her chances for a fifth major title since the 2007 Olympics appear slim with her current compatriot Kerber in the other corner.
Simona Halep’s blog on Tuesday
What is the status now for your return to competition? What is your state of mind?
It’s a very complicated situation.
I was supposed to do a good practice the other day, and the next day I went in for my pre-match routine.
I had not done my pre-match routine two days earlier, because I didn’t believe I was in a good condition.
I had to tell my mother about it, because we are very close in my family.
I think I had to do it to see what I was doing, because I would feel a little bit of pressure. But I’m happy to tell you that I feel totally normal and I feel nothing unusual.
I’m just going to think about it for a little while, then I will give you a comment on it.
What is your state of mind?
I’m happy because, if my opponent doesn’t get the better of me, I don’t have to think about anything.
I don’t have to think of going to the next round.
I think before the match, it would be better to prepare a little bit and not to say anything because this way, I could stay focused.
What is your advice to her?